Saturday, January 18, 2014

My Christmas trip to America - the George Bush museum

Here is, belatedly, a quick recapture of my trip to the US this December. I flew over December 18 with British Airways, with a quick stopover in London. This time I walked through immigration in Houston without any hiccups at all. I don't know if this means the US government is now satisfied that I'm not a threat or if the two previous times were just coincidences. Personally, I think I should be given an honorary US passport with any number of gold stars in it for being such a wannabe yank.

The 19th started with me driving up to Huntsville, which has a strong connection to Sam Houston. Y'all can read the travel blog about that visit here. After Huntsville I set course for the George Bush presidential library & museum in the strangely named city of College Station. Sadly I couldn't get my camera to work, but it later turned out that the battery was defunct, it worked just fine when I charged another battery. Yes, I'm an idiot.

The two pictures below were taken a few days later, when I dropped in at College Station to plead for the people at the Bush museum to look more closely for the passport I lost on the first day there. My trusty old passport was issued 6/6-06 so you can see why I wanted to keep it, besides the obvious hassle it would be to acquire a new one. Just a few days before leaving Norway, I was actually reading an article about how record high numbers of Norwegian passports got reported missing and I thought to myself "what kind of moron loses his passport". Well, now I know. Have I mentioned that I'm an idiot?

It must have slipped out of my jacket or back pocket somewhere between Huntsville and Dallas, most likely at College Station, but no one has reported finding it. To get a new one, I had to report it stolen at the police station in College Station and then go get two photos and a money order for $75 for the General Consulate in Houston before they would give me an emergency passport. Well, they were polite and quick so I can't really fault them. Le sigh.

Dis be the entrance to the George Bush prez museum. The interior had a nice collection of memorabilia, including a replica of the Oval Office.


The entrance area, with a huge Christmas tree and lots of gaudy, fake toys.

No comments: