Friday, February 27, 2009

The Greatest Briton ever

Spent some wonderful hours at the Cabinet War Rooms today, mainly in the Churchill Museum wing. Very well made place, but they need to do something about the ventilation there, because I found my throat thickening and my eyes watering several times. Uhm. Right. Anyways, there's tons of biographical and political information, lots of wonderful quotes, excerpts from speeches, interesting pictures and anecdotes etc. Well worth the admission price (a hefty £12.95)!

The museum makes abundantly clear that Churchill was a complex and at times difficult man, who had his share of flaws and political miscalculations. But he rose to the most important occasion imaginable and became an incredibly important symbol for the British in their darkest hours. Present generations enjoying the benefits of democracy and liberty owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

3 comments:

VamPus said...

"because I found my throat thickening and my eyes watering several times."

You softie, you!

Anonymous said...

"Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. "

Anonymous said...

Bah. Thats Rubbish.

*I* am the greatest Briton ever. And you know it.