Monday, March 30, 2009

US Route update

Earlier post here. I've made a few changes to my itinerary, mainly due to the fact that I can no longer count on having a place to stay in San Diego for the last 8-10 days of my trip (my friend there has gotten a 60 day notice from the landlord... which sucks). This means I need the flexibility of having a car for the whole 30-day period and it means I'll have a couple of extra days on the road.

This could still change, but here's the new itinerary (I've already booked almost all of these nights at various Motel 6 establishments - best value for money if you ask me):

June 22: Touchdown LAX, fairly short drive to a motel in Thousand Oaks.
23: Reagan presidential library in Simi Valley, making my way to Fresno to see friends.
24: Driving with said friends to Yosemite for the day. Spending the night in Mammoth Springs, just east of the park.
25: Driving to Portland, OR. No idea how far I'll get, maybe the Oregon border.
26: Hitting Portland sometime in the afternoon/evening.
27-28: Portland, including a brief swing into Washington state. Various museums and sights.
29: Portland - Baker City - Boise.
30: Boise - Pocatello, by a leisurely northern route to see Craters of the Moon and other Idaho sights, such as they are.
July 1-2: With Pocatello as my base (because it's half the price of staying closer to the park) I'll explore Yellowstone. Maybe I'll drive through the Tetons too.
3: Pocatello - Cody - Billings MT.
4: Billings - Little Bighorn - Buffalo WY.
5: Buffalo - Devils Tower - Deadwood - Rapid City SD.
6: Driving around in the Black Hills. Mt Rushmore, etc.
7: Rapid City - Badlands - Wounded Knee. Start making my way south through Nebraska.
8: Hitting Cheyenne WY sometime during the day.
9: Going to Laramie and probably Medicine Bow.
10: Cheyenne - Green River UT.
11: Moab and Arches National Park.
12: Green River - Ely NV. Starting on US 50, "The loneliest road in America", supposedly very scenic.
13: Crossing Nevada, ending up in Carson City.
14: Carson - Fresno.
15: Fresno.
16: Fresno - San Diego.
17: San Diego - Flagstaff with friend(s).
18: Grand Canyon.
19: Flagstaff - Las Vegas.
20: Las Vegas - San Diego.
21: San Diego - Los Angeles.
22: Flying out from LAX.

Ish gonna be fun.

1 comment:

Harald said...

"Ish gonna be fun."

Understatement of the year!