Saturday, November 3, 2012

Seljalandsfoss

We're stupid, so we hadn't done much research for this trip. After the geysir and the waterfall we decided to drive down south to the glacier that created so much trouble for European air travel in 2010, Eyafallajökull. We never got to see the actual glacier because of the fog and clouds, but we did happen upon one of Iceland's greatest tourist attractions (unbeknownst to us), Seljalandsfoss.

At first we just saw this incredible sight of a waterfall almost blowing away in the wind - more water seemed to be swept around and even back up again, than fall to the ground. Then we spotted a place to park right before a bridge, under which icy water was flowing rapidly towards the ocean. I got out to take pics of the river and the still far off waterfall, and what an experience THAT turned out to be.

Dear reader, I was pushed around like I was in a barroom brawl. It was quite simply impossible to just stand still and take a picture, because the wind was forcibly waving my camera around. In addition, the low temperature OR the strong wind was playing funny with my camera, which was self-adjusting the focus without me touching any of the buttons. Suffice it to say that not a single image from that session survived even a cursory quality check.

The wind was so strong that I was being pushed around, and if I tried to lean against it, I could do so without falling to the ground. I am a pretty damn heavy guy, so that wind was serious. We have since learned that the official definition of a hurricane is wind going at a speed of at least 32 kilometers per hour. When we saw the electronic board along the road a little later, it put the speed at 37 kph I think. So yeah, I was standing there like an idiot, trying to take photographs in a fuckin' hurricane.

We finally came to our senses and drove down to the smaller (but paved) road that passes the waterfall, and decided to take it. After a minute we pulled in at a parking lot and just sat and gawped at the sight for 5-10 minutes. And there's where all the following images were taken.

All pics.

Overview.
DSCN5945

The vapor was blowing everywhere.
DSCN5940

At times it looked like most of the water went up in the air instead of down on the ground.
DSCN5935

Close up. It's beautiful, isn't it?
DSCN5939

There were lots of stalagtites hanging from the cave ceiling. Yes, I know the difference between stalagtites (hanging down) and stalagmites (standing up).
DSCN5927

No comments: