Monday, January 16, 2012

Cabrillo National Monument

Sunday I went with Albie & Court up to Cabrillo National Monument, which lies atop a hill, with great views out over San Diego. The area is formally part of a Naval base, but it's administered by the National Parks. It is named for the first civilized person European to set foot in California, the Portuguese explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo.

The area is quite nice, and there was a moment when I stood looking out over the sea and felt a pang of yearning for Italy. There was just something about the way the hills sloped down to the sea that reminded me of the Sorrento peninsula and Naples, and for a brief time I was almost homesick for Europe. Then I remembered the hell that is Italy and the Italians, and promptly felt ashamed.

All pics here.

From the island of Coronado, where we made a brief stop before going up to the Monument. I definitely didn't like it there. Smug.
DSCN5056

The Cabrillo Monument on the other hand, was absolutely brilliant. Here is a view of the airport.
DSCN5061

More of San Diego airport and the harbor.
DSCN5066

Gorillas Skyscrapers in the mist.
DSCN5069

A sailboat.
DSCN5070

Reminded me of Italy. And there was a strong, pleasant smell from the plants up at the lighthouse. Sigh.
DSCN5081

The lighthouse.
DSCN5087

Some winged creature. I have no idea whether it is a falcon, a hawk, an eagle or a pigeon. It did fuck all except move its head around.
DSCN5105

Look, no head!
DSCN5131

The view on the other side of the hill, down towards the Pacific.
DSCN5097

This plant is called Chapparal. I know this because it said so on the little sign near the ground.
DSCN5063

Monterrey cypress. Again, there was a sign.
DSCN5082

No comments: