Monday, January 9, 2012

Lead toes

So, being an eejit I went and got me another speeding ticket on Sunday. This time I did a respectable 95 mph in a 75 zone, way the hell out in Bumfuck, northwest Texas (real name changed as to protect the innocent). In my defense, the roads out there are almost empty and they're straight and well maintained. In Germany for example, they would have had free speed.

As it was, I was cruising, not noticing the speedometer, when a police car coming the opposite way suddenly turned on his lights and started to turn around. I immediately slowed down to 75, but to no avail. This time there was no mentioning of paying to the officer, but on the other hand he wouldn't tell me how much the ticket was, nor how to pay it. Is that even legal? All I got was a citation in paper form, with a name and address on it, to the local Justice of the Peace. I had to sign a written form, promising that I would call the judge Monday.

I did, and this little piece of fun cost me TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY DOLLARS. Wail, wail & wail. At least I can pay this one by money order, so I won't have to spend 4-5 hours on driving back again to Bumfuck. I need to control my instincts and keep to a sedate 5mph above, so as not to get any more tickets, fuck knows with the $185 I paid in South Carolina, this is making a dent in my travel budget. On the other hand, taking into consideraton the many, many times I've sped without getting caught, I reckon I'm still ahead of the game...

No comments: