Saturday, July 12, 2014

A detour to Rob Roy

As I was heading up the A 84 towards Oban yesterday, I spotted a sign for Rob Roy's grave. The only thing I knew about the guy was what I could remember from the movie with Liam Neeson a while back, and that was mighty little. Also, I knew that my Scottish colleague back at school was a MacGregor and thus somehow related to him.

So I took a detour down a long, narrow, winding road to the tiny settlement of Balquhidder, which had once been the stronghold of the MacGregors. I found his grave, which had several coins on it and some bands of cloth with the MacGregor tartan. And that was all, really.

Rob Roy's grave. Well, according to one source. Two other sources put him in two other spots.
SANY0291

Balquhidder church, which is supposed to have been built with money from Carnegie.
SANY0289

No comments: