Monday, July 21, 2014

Lincoln

I've been to Lincoln before (here and here), but this time I decided to expand upon my inquiries and to that effect I took at 45 minute guided bus tour. I didn't go into Lincoln castle this time, since they were in the final stages of building the famed visitor center which will open next year. Woe is me as I shall then have to return to Lincoln. Woe indeed. Yep. Woe, woe, woe.

Anyways, the tour was pleasant enough, mostly in bright sunshine, and I later spent a couple of hours foolishly sitting in the sun, to the point that I spent the next day dizzy from being sunburnt. Feast yer eyes on these pics I took while I was still somewhat mentally alert.

The towers of the mighty cathedral.
DSC_0004

This is a funny image. The tableau originally showed English kings... and their respective queens. The heads of the latter were later erased and made into new kings. So there are several dodgy figures up there with a woman's body and a man's head.
DSC_0016

This image, found on the walls of the cathedral is said to be Edward I, aka Longshanks, aka "The Hammer of the Scots", aka "cunt" and his wife. I've written before about how Eleanor (whom he married when he was 15 and she 13) died in Lincoln and a grieving king erected a cross at every place they spent the night, until they reached London, where she was buried at Westminster Abbey. There's some doubt about wether the figures depicted are actually connected to Edward & Eleanor but to that I say pfffffffth.
DSC_0059

The very pretty area down by the Brayford Pool (fed by River Witham) is now Lincoln's city centre, aka "downhill". The area by the castle & cathedral is "uphill".
DSC_0038

Up at the public toilets outside the castle, I saw this ingenious system. The bottom button is for soap, the middle is for hot water and the top button starts a fan to dry your hands. Wheeeee!
DSC_0065

No comments: