Sunday, September 30, 2012

Rievaulx

As I was driving through the Yorkshire moors today, I passed an area called Rivaulx, owned by the National Trust. I believe I have mentioned earlier my lifetime membership therein. Anyways, I ventured in and spent a happy hour walking around the lawn and the wood. The place was intended as an informal garden and holds two "temples", modeled after classical architecture, but built in the late 1750s. The also had lots of sculptures by some artist I'd never heard of (which would include roughly 100% of all artists) spread out around the property. For once, the sculptures seemed to blend in well with their surroundings; these things tend to stick out like a sore, plague infested thumb.

All pics here.

The Ionic temple. It was intended to house guests and banquets and such.
DSCN3493

The smaller Tuscan temple.
DSCN3518

Some abbey ruins in the valley down below.
DSCN3496

Oh Yorkshire, I heart thee.
DSCN3519

Pixies dancing.
DSCN3530

Now, a photo of dancing pixies needs motion, so I moved my camera while taking the pic. I thought it came out rather well, it even looks like one of them has glowing eyes.
DSCN3532

A fairie's cabin.
DSCN3535

A path through the woods.
DSCN3527

Same path, with flash.
DSCN3529

A giant chessboard was standing forlorn by the visitor center.
DSCN3540

You just can't escape the grammar Nazis.
DSCN3500

No comments: