Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Rutupia

Ok, some quick pics from the three places I've been today. I had intended to spend most of the morning in Canterbury, but as the municipal parking lot wouldn't accept any of my credit cards, I fucked off on outta there and headed for Richborough instead. I was there last year; in Roman times it was known as Rutupia and lay by the sea. Storms and human farming and geological stuff have since combined to make the coastal town an inland ruin.

I had to share space and oxygen with a school class of unusually (I hope) noisy little bastards but managed to get in a handful of childfree photos. See also last years piece for more info.

All pics here.

A couple of trees had all white leaves; I suspect this was some type of disease, as quite a few of the leaves had black marks on them. Still, the contrast made for nice pics.
DSCN2905

The old mansio, which remained in use for most of the time Rutupia was inhabited.
DSCN2916

This cross-shaped height is all that remains of a great gate (appx 85 feet high) that once greeted travelers to Roman Britain.
DSCN2935

No comments: