Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Weeting Castle

I finally made it up to Weeting, where my rod map showed a castle. I drove through the tiny village, but saw no signs. On the way out I suddenly saw a sign pointing back to the village that clearly said "Weeting Castle". Mystified, I drove back. I went through at a snail's pace, desperately scanning for a castle, as if it might have hidden behind a lamppost or something. Still nuffin.

I finally broke down and asked a guy whose job it was to stop the virtually non-existing traffic every time a child wanted to cross the road. He told me that the sign had been stolen, and gave me directions to the castle. He also pointed me to a much better one about half an hour up north, which I would never have heard about unless I'd stopped to ask for directions, which again means that I should actually be thankful that someone stole the sign. Uhm. Yeah.

All Weeting Castle pics here.

It turned out that the castle wasn't even a castle. It was a manor which had never been fortified and never saw any military action. Sigh.
DSCN3234

It did have a moat once upon a time. That's always something.
DSCN3232

The opening at top left is clearly for a chimney, not a window.
DSCN3237

There was a church right next to the ruins. The rounded castle-like towers are quite common in these parts.
DSCN3241

No comments: