Sunday, August 4, 2013

Culloden Battlefield

I was at Culloden battlefield several years ago, but they've built a new and improved visitor center so I had to go back. The place was quite well made and especially some of the screen technology they've used was very good. There's a room where they show you a filmatization of the battle on all four walls; just give up trying to catch all the details and just give yourself over to the sheer terror of standing in the middle of a battlefield. Sadly, my battery died halfway, so I need to upload from the old camera when I get back home.

The battlefield itself has been pretty much unchanged since 1746.
DSCN6605

An English depiction of the battle. Appx 50 English and 1,500 Scots were killed. Blame the huge loss of Highlanders on that supreme eejit, "Bonnie Prince Charles".
DSCN6599

The also had a big screen where you could see the movement of the troops.
DSCN6604

So many things are so wrong with this picture.
DSCN6601

No comments: