Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Revenge from October

Some of you may remember my failed visit to Crichton Castle in October last year. Taking the word of a road crew I trotted merrily on my way down to a castle that turned out to be locked up and closed for the winter season. I then walked back, wiping salty tears all the way (or something like that).

Well, Monday I went back there and this time it was OPEN, so BAH, HUMBUG! to y'all. I got to take some photos of its interior (the Italian front of one of the wings is the reason it's even remotely famous) and had and eye to eye meeting with two bewinged creatures.

This wall is the only one of its kind in Scotland, possibly all of northern Europe. It was the front wall of the renaissance wing of the castle, built by the Earl of Bothwell, who'd gotten the idea from time spent in Italy. He had to flee back there eventually, because of money problems and died a pennyless drunkard. Let that be a warning not to meddle with 'em southerners.
DSCN6842

The stable with its upper floor for servants.
DSCN6847

These two pigeons were looking at me with interest as I rounded a bend in the stairs in one of the towers. I wasn't sure if they had built a nest in the area, so I retreated rather than push past them. Also, I still have a fear of losing my eyeballs in a flurry of feathers, talons and cold, dark rage.
DSCN6849

The shitter if I'm any judge.
DSCN6855

No comments: