Sunday, August 11, 2013

Dryburgh Abbey

After Jedburgh I drove up to Dryburgh Abbey, where these pics are from. They were the last pics I took with this camera, on account of forgetting my memory card in the PC again, so I had to resort to the old cam, which I can't read until I get a cable which is conveniently situated back in Norway. So images of the Wallace Statue, the Scott viewpoint and Melrose Abbey will have to wait till next week. Le sigh. They still use the building for weddings; there was one being held there today.

The abbey, which was built in the mid 1100s is chiefly famous as the burial site of two people: The poet and writer Walter Scott and the much maligned and parodied general Douglas Haig of WW1 fame (or infamy).

The lovely abbey ruins.
DSCN6809

General Haig's final resting place. The gravestones are held in the same style they used for burying the British troops in WW1; a nice touch methinks.
DSCN6811

Sir Walter Scott is in the closest of the two raised graves. "Sound, sound the clarion, fill the fife; to all the sensual world proclaim: One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name". True dat.
DSCN6812

No comments: