Monday, April 13, 2009

Me and Maddy

There's a new woman in my life.

Her name is Madeleine and she's white. Madeleine is high maintenance; she craves constant attention and can get quite loud and bitchy when she doesn't get it. She likes nuts and fruits and baths. She also likes to nibble my fingers.

Madeleine is an Umbrella Cockatoo (no, that's not Cajun for slut) and she is to be found in a cage at the cafe just down the street from my hostel here in Prague. I read up a bit about these birds on Wiki and she seems to fit the description just fine. Very sociable, intelligent and curious but also demanding and noisy if she doesn't get her way. I know the staff often has to pull a tablecloth over the cage to shut her up.

I'm not a good imitator of bird sounds per se, but I have this one sound I can make pretty well - sort of like a cross between a sparrow and a dolphin... anyway, when I started making it, the bird stopped cold and raised the feather crest on top of her head. According to Wiki this is something they do when they're surprised. Can't say I blame her.

Madeleine giving me her wtf-look
SANY0264


Another thing I read about these birds is that they can apparently sense rythm. I don't know if it was just her way of trying to get attention, but I did observe Madeleine swaying to the beat several times when there was some kind of dance music on. She had more groove than me anyway...

No comments: