Thursday, April 30, 2009

Stirling I

Ahhhh... I'm back in Stirling again, this time with nine colleagues. We arrived last evening, and I promptly headed up to the Settle Inn, where there's a folk music jam session every Wednesday. When we got there, we found out the place was "under new management", and what a cunt he must be, cuz the folk music nights had been abandoned. Fortunately, they'd simply moved next door, to the pub Whistlebinkies. It has more space, nicer staff and the music was every bit as foot-stomping as when I was here last October.

I recognized quite a few people from last time, and eventually some recognized me too (after I'd joined in the singing...). There was a new guy there with a contrabass he was pluckin' and not only did he ask if I sang professionally, as an added bonus he thought ah wuz 'merican. Wooo hooo!

Towards the end I got in a couple of songs of my own, and we rounded it off with me singing lead on Fields of Athenry (just like last time), to the point where even the waitress put down her work and just sat down to listen. It was effin awesome, people. I didn't bring my camera, but I know several of my colleagues did, so I hope to post some shots here eventually.

Today we're going up to Stirling Castle, and then maybe to the Wallace monument (not sure if I can be bothered, as it's pouring down outside). Later tonight I hope we can hunt down another pub with live folk music...

No comments: