Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cody

Aight. SO much to write about and SO SO SO many great pics to show ya'll, but I want to make this quick... After the Tetons I drove up through Yellowstone, to the little town of Cody, named after Buffalo Bill. I only took a handful of Yellowstone pics Wednesday, and didn't see much except a few buffalo and the very purdy Y. Lake, so I'll put those in later, with the pics I took Friday (today, US time).

Anyways, I spent all of Thursday in Cody, most of it at the very interesting Buffalo Bill Historical Center, which houses five different museums. The admission is a steep $15, but totally worth it. They have a gun collection, a natural history museum, a Plains Indians museum, a gallery of western art and the Buffalo Bill museum, which tells the story of the man himself. I even went so far as to attend a free talk about how scientists use fossilized leaves to determine the climate of Wyoming 50 million years ago - my already high nerd factor is skyrocketing.

I was hoping to catch a rodeo performance later in the evening, but there were several showers in the afternoon and the forecast wasn't good, so I stayed at the motel and took a very early night in order to get back up to Yellowstone early today. I think I made the right decision, but more about that later; here are some of the pics from Cody, the gallery is here.

The appx one hour drive between Yellowstone and Cody is very scenic. This is from a place called Holy City, apparently some settlers thought it looked like the skyline of Jerusalem... That's the purdy Shoshone River in front.
SANY0664 SANY0661

From the Buffalo Bill Dam, on the Shoshone River
SANY0620

Me and ol' Bill. Looks like he's got me by the neck; he probably would have, had he been alive.
SANY0624

Wagons, guns, stuffed buffalos...
SANY0647 SANY0651 SANY0626 SANY0650

Pay no attention to the walrus in the background.
SANY0628

Purdy paintings.
SANY0645 SANY0635

This painting is called "The last of their race". The sun is setting over the Indians, as they have been pushed to the ocean's edge. The buffalo skull is also very symbolic, apparently.
SANY0643

No comments: