Thursday, July 9, 2009

Scotts Bluff

As mentioned, most of Nebraska is horribly dull. Flat, windswept, empty. But. But, but, but. There is an area in the west where erosion has not yet completed its project of grinding down every bit of stone in the state. The whole state was once several hundred feet higher than it is today, a vast highland plain, much of it covered in sediments (including volcanic ash) from the Rocky Mountains. Over the years most of this has been blown or washed away, but some rocks still remain, many of them in strange shapes.

Nebraska was an important thoroughfare for pioneers traveling from the east coast to the perceived glories of the Pacific. Thousands upon thousands walked across the prairie -farmers, craftsmen, adventurers, businessmen and immigrants sold everything, risked everything to reach California or Oregon. The short lived Pony Express passed through here. The crazies of the Mormon cult sought a place where they could be crazy without fear of bodily harm and set off for Utah. Many followed the Platte River, which runs through southern Nebraska, and the sight of these great rocks was a welcome one for them after traversing the vast, empty space of the midwest. Hundreds of letters back home tell of the joy and hope they felt when they finally caught sight of the first signs that the mountains were near - for beyond the mountains was "the promised land".

Since it was on the way I had decided to go and take pics of some of the most famous rocks - Jail Rock, Courthouse Rock and Chimney Rock. I almost didn't go to Scotts Bluff, since it was slightly out of my way, but boy am I glad I did. The bluff is named after a pioneer who was killed in an Indian attack and it is a place of stunning beauty. From the top you have an incredible view of the land below, and the rock itself is just the way I like my landscape - plenty of bare stone, with lots of pine trees. Did I mention I'm Norwegian? We have a thing for dark forests and mountains...

The small one is Jail Rock, the big one is Courthouse Rock. These are about 5-10 mins south of the Platte.
SANY0992

Chimney Rock, which is to the west, on the way to Scotts Bluff.
SANY0999

Scotts Bluff in all its might. Note that the bluff is situated at Gering, south of the river and a few miles south of the city of Scottsbluff. It's easy to be tricked by the roadsigns (no, I wasn't).
SANY1000

Views from the top. As I've said often, my cam is too crappy to capture the real beauty of the landscape.
SANY1013 SANY1006

SANY1021 SANY1010

SANY1019 SANY1026

A very nice place to put a bench.
SANY1015

Rocks and pines... what more can a Norwegian ask for?
SANY1028

All this place needs is a 6-year old and a bucket of water. Sadly I didn't have a bucket of water.
SANY1030

To the south is the Wildcat Hills State Recreational Area. A smaller version of the Black Hills in many ways; quite nice.
SANY1035

View to the south.
SANY1042 SANY1041

If I were a bear or a squirrel I think I'd cuddle up in one of those cozy little valleys and never come out again.
SANY1043 SANY1044

Desert Rose, dreamed I saw a desert rose...
SANY1048

And then, at the bottom of the Wildcat Hills... we return to our usual programming of dry, windy endless nuffin'.
SANY1051

All Nebraska pics here.

No comments: