Saturday, July 4, 2009

Yellowstone - animals

My final pictorial from Yellowstone focuses on the fauna. I only saw a couple of buffalos on Wednesday, and didn't really get any good pics, so all of these are from the incredible trip I had today. I had goosebumps for most of the way.

I had no idea they even had pelicans in Yellowstone, but names like Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek (where I took this) should have been a clue.
SANY0683

An elk grazing by the roadside, paying no attention whatsoever to the traffic jam he was creating.
SANY0702

These cute little bambies were found on the way to Artist Point (the Yellowstone Grand Canyon).
SANY0704

That dark spot by the water is a beaver.
SANY0689

Buffalo are everywhere in Yellowstone, and can be a danger to traffic and people. They look docile, but do NOT approach them. They are easily provoked and as the safety brochure reminds us: They can run three times as fast as a human.
SANY0695

Whaddya want?
SANY0729

I had almost given up on seeing the animals I most wanted to see - wolf and bear - when I came to Lamar valley, in the northeastern corner of the park. I slowed down to get a good look at a huge herd of buffalo down by the Lamar river, when I suddenly saw this guy in the grass. I'm not positive, but I think it's a coyote, not a proper wolf. Still, close enough for me.
SANY0746 SANY0750
SANY0745

Finally, just a few miles from the park exit, I saw some people by the roadside, clicking away merrily. Up the hillside I got a glimpse of a large, dark shape disappearing behind a tree. Bear! I parked a few hundred feet further up and walked back down. As previously noted my cam is crap, but I managed to get some shots, and it was an incredible feeling to stand there - just a few hundred feet from a wild black bear. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it now.

While I stood there several other people drove by and they thanked me profusely for showing them the bear. I think this was the highlight of the day for more than just yours truly, and quite a traffic jam formed in a few minutes. The bear did not give his opinion on the matter; he didn't even acknowledge our presence. Which, come to think of it, was probably a good thing...
SANY0751 SANY0756
SANY0754

No comments: