Saturday, July 4, 2009

Yellowstone - the canyon

Yellowstone has its very own Grand Canyon, and it is the color of the rock here that has given the place its name. It was cloudy when I came here, so I don't think I saw it in all its splendor, but it was still an incredible sight. The outlook I went to is about five minutes from the main road (Grand Loop) and is known as Artist Point, but there are several other places to view it from.

So deeeeeeeeeeep...
SANY0706 SANY0708

A mighty view.
SANY0717

Fall & river.
SANY0719 SANY0712

The view downstream from Artist Point isn't too shabby either.
SANY0727

I feel I should also include a couple of pics from Sulphur Cauldron, a bit north of the canyon. Both places have thermal action, which causes the white and yellow spots in the rock.
SANY0739 SANY0732
SANY0735 SANY0738

No comments: