Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wyoming

Aighty... been without internet for a few days, so let's get started... Spent Wednesday and Thursday night just outside Fort Collins, CO. It was really just the cheapest base from which to explore southeastern Wyoming, which I did Thursday. I didn't get to see as much as planned, but I almost, almost got to meet a real governor!

I started by driving into the state capital, Cheyenne, more or less on random. I found the state museum, located a couple of blocks from the state library, which was in the same building as the state supreme court and right next to the state capitol building - you get the drift, Cheyenne ain't large.

The state museum was a pleasant surprise, with an informative and interesting collection on Wyoming history and life. As mentioned many times now, the Americans are good at museum making, this place had a whole hands-on room "for children of all ages" as the receptionist put it. Wheeee! In addition they started out with a section explaining why you couldn't touch such-and-such, the challenges of preserving artifacts, problems with light and moisture etc - in short why you can't act like a child outside the designated areas.

As I was leaving the place I asked the aforementioned receptionist if the state Capitol was open to visitors. Not only was it open, she informed me that the governor had an open door policy so if he was in I might even get to meet him. I must have looked stunned, because she gave a wide grin and said "this is the west".

Gah! A live guv'nah! Whodda thunk it? Ok, Dave Freudenthal is a Democrat, but a centrist one - you'd have to be to get elected and then re-elected in such a heavily Republican state. Trembling, I made my way to the Capitol as fast as my stubby legs and slouching walk would allow. Once inside I noticed the govenor's office on my immediate right, but though the doors were open I couldn't see anyone inside. The information desk was closed with a message to sign myself into the guest registry and have a nice day. The state trooper at the other desk paid no attention to me. The west indeed!

To build up my courage I took a brief tour of the building, snapping pics of stuffed animals, state legislature meeting rooms, the rotunda, etc. I probably trespassed on the two state chambers, since I went in on the floors instead of onto the balconies. The rooms were all empty and the doors open, so they only have themselves to blame...

When I came downstairs again I swallowed hard, brushed all real and imaginary dust off my shirt and walked into the governor's office. His receptionist was very helpful and friendly, but the governor wasn't in and she wasn't sure if he would be. He had a conference call scheduled for the afternoon, but he might take that in the governor's residence, so she couldn't guarantee anything. I thanked her and decided to cut my driving short to try and make it back to Cheyenne and see the man.

I then had a quick drive over to Laramie and a little farther west - the only interesting thing that happened was some old guy who was swerving all over the road. Drunk, stoned, or demented I don't know but he was a real danger to traffic. Just after Laramie I pulled over at a rest stop to take some pics and he passed by - with a train of angry drivers and trucks after him, trying to get past. A couple of minutes after I passed him on the roadside; he'd been stopped by a state trooper..

I then drove back to Cheyenne, where I spoke with another secretary who greeted me with"are you the Norwegian gentleman"? I decided not to contest the g-word and nodded, grinning in what I felt was an endearing manner, but which probably came across as slightly deranged. Anyways, Freudenthal had not returned to the office, but he would probably be in the next day. Sadly I had to drag my ass to Utah the next morning, so it never worked out, but now I know the opportunity is there whenever I'm in Cheyenne again. I need to be quick though - Freudenthal is still term limited and the next election is in 2010.

The hands-on room at the museum. Ah, to be a child again - or at least have so little shame as to act like one...
SANY1057 SANY1058

They had a no-photos policy in place for everywhere except the hands-on room, but I broke the rule to snap this... I felt guilty afterwards, so I donated ten bucks (the museum is freeee).
SANY1060

The state capitol and the state library/supreme court building.
SANY1061

SANY1062

Glass rotunda and fake Indian (I'm assuming he's not stuffed).
SANY1066 SANY1067

The landscape just west of Laramie - mountains to the south and flat, grassy nothing to the north.
SANY1076 SANY1077

So near and yet so far... *sigh*
SANY1078

More Wyoming pics here.

No comments: