Sunday, July 12, 2009

Green River

After the mountains of Colorado come the high plains or rather the semi-deserts of Utah. Some really strange rock formations here, part badlands, part Sahara, part moon landscape. I stayed two nights in tiny Green River, using it as a base for exploring Arches National Park. The Motel 6 here didn't have internet access, which is why I haven't blogged for a few days. The town itself is tiny and has fuck all to entertain a poor visitor. The (extremely nice) girl in the reception gave me a few ideas about what to do, but the only one I found to be within my limited capabilities was to go out to a "crystal geysir" a bit south of town - it went off "whenever if feels like", but the area was reportedly nice.

The road out there was mainly pure sand and gravel, and the landscape looked post-nuclear war. The geysir itself looks like a slightly bubbling waterpool. There were no eruptions while I was there, but the rocks around clearly showed marks from earlier ones. The Green River itself ran peacefully right next to it. While there I decided to experiment a bit with my cam - yes, it is crappy, but then again I'm probably nowhere near exhausting the various settings on it, so I should be able to get something better than what I have up till now. I am pleased to report that some of the black and white pics came out very well, they seem to fit the evening light best.

I'll put up the pics from Arches in a separate post. I'm also including a couple of pics from today's drive along US 50. Not sure if they're from Utah or Nevada - it doesn't matter, it all looks the same for mile after mile...

Multicolored goo on the rocks around the geysir.
SANY1095

The sun setting over Green River.
SANY1096

Now tell me these aren't effin good pics:
SANY1103

SANY1104

SANY1105

Last night I took these from my hotel, there was a thunderstorm rolling in...
SANY1264 SANY1265

From US 50. This goes on for hours...
SANY1268 SANY1269

All Green River & US 50 pics here.

No comments: