Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Journey Museum

Had a lazy day today... brunch at Dennys (eggs, bacon and pancake - proper American fare!), then I went to The Journey Museum, a local museum about the natural and cultural history of the Black Hills region, with geology, archeology and anthropology all combined. It's not very large, but interesting enough. As with so many other US museums I've seen on this trip there were plenty of hands-on activities for kids.

Nerd bonus came when I went into a gallery with an exhibition on immigration to the Black Hills. The Scandinavians (and Norway in particular!) had one of the largest displays (not that it was all that large anyway...). To my delight I found that two objects that were marked as Norwegian were, in reality, Swedish. I told the volunteer at the desk, who in turn told an employee, who in turn promised to tell the director. Don't know if anything will come of it, but it was still a bit cool to be able to provide some cultural information to a museum (the last time I did this was at the National museum of Scotland, in Edinburgh, when I pointed out that they had the wrong year for Oliver Cromwell's death... dunno if they've corrected it yet).

Dinosaurs are always cool! After this visit I went and saw Ice Age III in 3D - it was ok but not as good as the first two.
SANY0952 SANY0954

The Norwegian display. The tablecloth and the open bible are given as Norwegian, but the language is Swedish.
SANY0961

No comments: