Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Grand Canyon

We spent several hours Saturday driving along the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Sweet jeebus, that place is huge. For someone with my fear of heights it was a real challenge just to get close enough to the edge to get good pictures, but I believe I succeeded. We were all mightily impressed with the size and grandeur of the place, it's almost impossible not to get some decent images there considering the motif.

The canyon may be big, but it's a small world. In addition to the encounter with the Norwegian flag-waving Navajos earlier in the day I got a shock when, upon presenting my Norwegian credit card to the elderly gentleman at a grocery store at Desert View, I was greeted (in Norwegian) with "I'll be damned, my grandma was Norwegian". Turns out the guy's grandmother was from Kongsberg, appx 90 mins from my hometown and in the same county. He'd been there several years ago on a short trip and spoke a few words of Norwegian. We talked a bit and he told me his granny had always hoisted the Norwegian flag on the 17th of May - Norway's National Day. It's small stuff like this that make a trip more than just a series of touristy events - it becomes proper traveling.

I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking, the complete set of 115 images can be found here. Note that the 6 last nature images in the set are actually from Flagstaff, where we spent two nights. Nice town, good live music at The Altitudes bar & grill (also very nice staff!). For food I can also recommend Taco Loco, just around the corner from the grill.


So damn big.
SANY0084 SANY0085

SANY0091 SANY0094

I think I'm starting to develop a thing for black & white photography...
SANY0102

Yup.
SANY0110 SANY0116

Ish purdy.
SANY0107 SANY0130

Mhm.
SANY0133

Of course, some idiots always have to get in the way and ruin the view...
SANY0135

Bird giving me the wtf-look after I tried to open up a conversation using my bird imitation. I don't blame him, the sound has been described as reminiscent of everything from dolphins to squirrels.
SANY0161

Court clowning.
SANY0172

Same place, in color and in b&w.
SANY0175 SANY0183

Nothing, I repeat nothing phallic here. Move along, nothing to see.
SANY0192 SANY0193

Sunset at the Grand Canyon.
SANY0198

No comments: