Sunday, July 12, 2009

Colorado

Drove through Colorado and into Utah Friday. It was a long drive, and after a while the Rocky Mountains became more annoying because of the difficulty driving than majestic scenery. It's been 8 years since I drove through the state so I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the southern route of US 50 being more scenic than I-70, which I took this time.

My only proper stop on the way was Buffalo Bill Cody's grave, which is just outside Denver. Nice place, but the inscription on his gravestone - that he was buried here on his own request - is a blatant lie. Cody was living in Wyoming at the time but died while visiting his sister in Denver. It was his wife who decided he should be buried here, in a place he had no personal connection to - apparently she was heavily bullied by local Denver dignitaries.

The place is aptly named Lookout Mountain.
SANY1081 SANY1083

The grave.
SANY1085 SANY1087

View of the mountains.
SANY1091

More Colorado pics here.

No comments: