Sunday, May 6, 2012

Priscilla the Echidna

After a while I was feeling hungry, so when I saw a sign for a "local animal sanctuary" I stopped in. Not to feed on their stock of wildlife, but the thought of combining lunch and photographing some animals seemed very appealing, especially since I hadn't seen a single koala so far.

Well, the lunch was good and the wildlife formidable at Potoroo Palace. I got to handfeed a kangaroo and pet a koala. Oh, and an Echidna. These little animals look like porcupines, but they're more closely related to the platypus. They're as smart as cats and can be cuddled. Ohhhh, they can be cuddled. In addition, they and the platypus are the only mammals which lay eggs. They're a fascinating species indeed.

All pics of Priscilla here.

A cute, walking pin cushion.
DSCN6855

The tongue is extremely long, half the length of their body if fully extended. In the wild, they live mainly on a diet of ants and insects.
DSCN6865

Help, help, I'm being oppressed!
DSCN6866

Cuddle!
DSCN6869

No comments: