Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Scenic World: Katoomba Falls from the air

Some of you will know that I'm not very good with heights. I believe I've alluded to it earlier on this blog; it's at the point where I get dizzy when I'm standing on my toes... So it was a major step out of my comfort zone when I bought an all day pass to Scenic World, just north of Echo Point this morning. It included free rides on "Skywalk" which is basically a cable ride across the valley, with a glass bottom. Also, it includes a ride on skyrail (more about that later) and skycable, both steep rides down into the valley below.

You can see all pictures related to my day at Scenic World here, or limit your views to Katoomba Falls here.

There's a story that the name of the cliff formation "The Tree Sisters" comes from an aboriginal story involving... three sisters. The story is a hoax, meant to increase the legend (and presumably the flow of tourists) surrounding the cliffs in the 1920s. Yet, there are three nekkid bronze statues outside the entrance, all strangely Caucasian in features.
DSCN6466

A formation called Orphan Rock. It used to be a major attraction, but access to it was closed in 1974, due to erosion having made it dangerous. We were told that in the summer the water coming down the mountainsides would take huge boulders with them down into the valley. In a few million years, the mountains will all be worn down.
DSCN6469

This is the view straight down from the cable car, of the rainforest at the bottom of the valley. It is the only picture I took through the glass floor, on account of being absolutely terrified of heights.
DSCN6467

Some pics of the falls.
DSCN6477

DSCN6531

DSCN6533

DSCN6478

DSCN6539

No comments: