Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Desert museum

Those of you who have followed my travels, including the trip to the US in 2009, will know that I have an affinity for the desert and desert life. I think there is a barren beauty to the landscape and the hardy animals living here have my respect and admiration.

So today I hooked up with my old chum from Naples & couchsurfing, Jo. She is a native of Tucson and was fortunately home this week, having just gotten back from lordy knows how long in France, and going back to college in Virginia next week. She took me to see the absolutely brilliant Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, which hosts a lot of the wildlife you might find in these parts, and some you might pray you'll never encounter.

I'm going to divide the pictures into several posts, on account of having taken a fuckload of 'em. Imma start with birds and small animals.

We started out with the hummingbirds. These little fuckers are fast, I had several photo ops of them hanging still in mid air, but had no chance to fire off a pic.
DSCN4707

DSCN4709

DSCN4713

A bird giving me a WTF-look when I made my bird/dolphin/squirrel/insane Norwegian sounds.
DSCN4727

Frogs? Toads? French swimmers? Who cares?
DSCN4768

These prairie dogs are just the cutest. They do human stuff with their little paws, and they're very social animals. Easy to take good pics when you have a whole gang and they're as calm as these were.
DSCN4772

Stuffing face.
DSCN4779

DSCN4780

Standing guard. There's fuck all to threaten this group, as they're protected from above by nets, but it doesn't seem like they've quite caught on to it yet.
DSCN4775

Awwwww.
DSCN4770

A lot of a prairie dog's life is occupied with stuffing face, it seems.
DSCN4773

No comments: