Monday, January 2, 2012

Savannah

Savannah has been my favorite American city ever since I first laid eyes on it back in '98. I must say that now that I've gotten to know Charleston better, it's probably a draw. Charleston has more grand, wooden houses while Savannah has its multitude of squares and parks and pretty houses - some wooden, some brick. It's just impossible to say which one is the purdiest.

Also, Friday evening and Saturday morning I spent some time with my friend Shirl, and three of her partners in crime, who'd come down from Atlanta. Good fun was had all round, as can probably be deduced from the pics below. My trip was a thing of wonder to them all, and everything from my cowboy boots to Norwegian food was under their inquisitive microscope. Personally, I had a blast fending off questions from left, right and below the belt...

All Savannah pics here.

Shirl (aka rubber face).
DSCN4347

Tish, partner in crime.
DSCN4345

Jakari, partner in crime.
DSCN4349

Eufaula, partner in crime.
DSCN4343

The pub where we had brunch Saturday.
DSCN4350

They had some sweet, sweet bread pudding there. Mmmmmm, bread pudding.
DSCN4338

James Edward Oglethorpe. Possibly the most naive colony founder of them all, he wanted Georgia to be a model for former prisoners. He forbade slavery, gambling and drinking. That only lasted a few years.
DSCN4353

A monument to chief Tomochichi, who was a friend of Oglethorpe.
DSCN4355

The African American monument down by the harbor.
DSCN4363

Former slaves from Haiti fought in the Revolutionary War.
DSCN4356

World War 2 memorial by the harbor.
DSCN4362

A memorial to all those who have sailed to and from Savannah, especially the sailors lost at sea.
DSCN4359

Some random parks and buildings. Hot damn, I love that Spanish moss hanging from the trees.
DSCN4334

DSCN4337

DSCN4365

No comments: