Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Lafayette

Sunday I started my long journey back west, and have not been doing much except driving, eating and sleeping. Generally not at the same time, mind you. Tuesday morning I had a brief stop in Lafayette, Louisiana (where I bought my jeans and boots the first time around) to have a look at the village they've built up downtown, called Vermilionville. It is situated next to the airport, but I'm damned if I could see a single sign for it coming down from the I-10; had it not been for the map I had acquired at the tourist info, I would never have known it was there.

The place is a reconstructed Cajun/Creole village, such as it might have looked in the 19th century. Some of the houses had people in them, supposedly clad in the attire of the times, and doing their respective crafts. I dunno if it's a general weirdness of the Acadians or if the people of Lafayette are all retards, but I found them all to be strange - from the people at the tourist info to the historic actors - strange bordering on sinister. I frankly cut my visit there short and went on the road again because of this.

All pics from Vermilionville here.

A reconstructed school as it might have looked in the 1800s. Ah, to live and work in a society where one might trash pupils to within an inch of their miserable, little lives...
DSCN4389

I never knew the cajuns had a Dutch background...
DSCN4381

Oh, Spanish moss how I love thee.
DSCN4386

The only way to spend an afternoon in the South.
DSCN4385

There was also a reconstructed injun house on the premises.
DSCN4369

The inside of a cajun kitchen. As with a lot of kitchens in bigger houses, this was a separate (but close) building, due to the fire hazard.
DSCN4405

Cozy living room.
DSCN4378

No comments: