Saturday, January 7, 2012

South Padre Island

Spent Thursday night on South Padre Island, mainly because I got a Motel 6 room for $26, including taxes & wi-fi... outside the tourist season, most motels and hotels on this island don't see a lot of business I guess. The island is long and narrow, and almost nuffin' but beach all round. It is very popular with tourists, I overheard the lady behind the desk telling someone on the phone that they were already fully booked for spring break.

I got in some pics of the beach at sunrise, then had breakfast at Dennys and fucked off outta there. The remainder of the day has been spent driving on backwater roads in southern Texas, and that's pretty much exactly as boring as you might think. The landscape doesn't change much, and most of the people you encounter make you suspect that US border control is even worse than expected. Still, I had to see it - it's a matter of "been there, done that". I even got stopped by the border patrol, even though I'm pale - bordering on translucent. Tonight I'm staying in Del Rio, TX and tomorrow I will try for Carlsbad, NM to see the famous caves there.

All South Padre pics here, all other south Texas pics here.

Sunrise on South Padre Island. Them's pelicans flying low in front.
DSCN4475

Ish nice.
DSCN4479

T'was a study in blue.
DSCN4484

FAIL. It's not spelled "venemous", you goddamn wetback!
DSCN4495

What passes for entertainment on South Padre.
SANY0005

I believe this cozy little place was called Port Isabel. It's on the mainland, just on the other side of the bridge over to South Padre.
SANY0006

The scenery for most of my day. This is what 90% of Texas looks like.
SANY0009

Now, tell us how you really feel about Mr. Jamie... you seldom see political advertisements this poignant in Europe. Also, "weasel" is spelled wrong. Sigh.
SANY0010

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May be.....you are CANADIAN??? A??? Yes,will take you a while.....