Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Punchbowl

Wednesday I ventured up to a Military Cemetery called "Punchbowl Crater", situated above Honolulu. I'd gotten a tip from one of Shirl's friends, who I met in Savannah just before New Year's, and this actually turned out to be the highlight of the trip - meaning the place was moderately interesting.

The cemetery is a memorial to the dead of the Pacific theatre in WW2, but also for Korea and Vietnam. The area seems well kept, although it was almost empty when I went there. It was rather sunny right then, so I took some pics of the trees, the memorial and the views over Honolulu and then went back to the hotel. By sunset, the weather was overcast again. So no pics of sunrises or sunsets - not because I am a lazy bastard (which I will readily admit to) but because the weather simply would not allow it.

All Punchbowl pics here.

View from atop the memorial.
DSCN5217

Honolulu. I don't think I've hated a place this much since I was in Las Vegas.
DSCN5204

The nice park at the bottom of the crater. The graves are marked with plates set into the ground, not tombstones.
DSCN5196

DSCN5209

DSCN5200

The flag is always flown at half mast. The star-spangled banner is a motive I never get tired of.
DSCN5199

The memorial.
DSCN5201

She is supposed to represent all grieving mothers, but personally I think she looks like she's about to slap seven kinds of snot outta some slant eyed, emperor-worshipping, rice-eating bastard.
DSCN5211

No comments: