Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Australia so far

Some thoughts after my first 24 hours or so in Australia...

* It was sweet bliss to breathe the cool, crisp autumn air of Australia.

* It's weird to walk in fallen leaves and the aforementioned crisp autumn air... in April.

* Drivers in Melbourne are aggressive assholes.

* I've seen 3 kangaroos and some wallabies so far, all of them roadkill. Disappointed.

* I've seen one fox, but only because it was nibbling on one of the dead kangaroos.

* I've seen two small groups of emus. They literally ran like the wind when I stopped the car and tried to take pictures.

* The famous "Great Ocean Road" (GOR) is vastly overrated.

Some pics from the GOR, all of them can be found here.

My very first picture taken on Australian soil.
DSCN5843

Nice beaches, if you're into that sort of thing.
DSCN5849

My car. If I had a penny for every time I've turned on the windshield wipers when I meant to signal a turn, I'd be rich.
DSCN5852

The Great Arch towards the eastern end of the GOR.
DSCN5854

The Great Ocean Road was initially started more or less as a work scheme for homecoming veterans from WW1.
DSCN5855

Houses in Australia are butt ugly. Honestly. Just awful.
DSCN5853

The 12 Apostles. Yes, some are hidden. No, there are still not 12 of them. There possibly never were.
DSCN5894

Some wet area.
DSCN5887

Misty morning. Now tell me, couldn't this as easily have been England?
DSCN5879

An arch.
DSCN5906

Next stop Antarctica. Yeah, all the water pics you'll see at the link are from the Southern Ocean, between Australia and the South Pole.
DSCN5857

No comments: