Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mt Gambier

I spent Tuesday night in the small town of Mount Gambier. The hotel was shitty and the food good but overpriced at the place I had dinner, so I went to bed somewhat underwhelmed with the experience. However, in the bright light of morning things seemed completely different. The cranky old guy at the reception had given me a map the day before, and pointed out two lakes he thought I should visit. Since I had plenty of time on my hands, I went up to see what the fuzz was about.

And let me tell you, I was glad I did. Blue Lake and Valley Lake and the dried out Leg of Mutton Lake in between, were absolutely stunning. They were formed by ground water exposed by volcanic explosions only a few thousand years ago, so they're mere babies on a geological scale. Take a look at the pics:

The dried out Leg of Mutton Lake. If this landscape doesn't transport you back to the age of dinosaurs, I don't know what will.
DSCN5909

DSCN5916

DSCN5921

On one side of Leg of Mutton lay Valley Lake.
DSCN5941

They were separated by a thin ridge, as you can see here.
DSCN5947

Fog over Leg of Mutton.
DSCN5942

DSCN5946

On the other side of the road from Leg of Mutton lay Blue Lake, which is used as a water source for the city. It's 70-80 meters in average depth, but up to 200 meters deep in places.
DSCN5930

The beautiful, fog-wrapped area beyond Blue Lake. Sigh.
DSCN5952

No comments: