Thursday, April 26, 2012

More from the Stuart Highway

On the way out of Alice Springs I picked up two hitchhikers; one French-Canadian guy and an Austrian girl. They were going to Townsville, same as me, so I had them along for about 48 hours. It turned out they had largely the same taste in music as myself, so the whole way from Alice up to Tennant Creek and then east to Townsville it's been a veritable orgy of Johnny Cash, Beatles, Simon & Garfunkle, Travis, etc, etc.

These pics are all from the last leg of the Stuart Highway, between Erldunda and Tennant Creek. When I say the last leg, I mean of MY trip; the highway continues for almost a thousand kilometers up to Darwin from Tennant Creek. I believe I've already mentioned that this is a really, really huge country? Also, somewhere up there I finally saw two LIVE, WILD KANGAROOS jumping across the road and into the bush, but I had no chance to capture them on camera, you'll just have to take my word for it.

A few miles north of Alice, we crossed the Tropic of Capricorn. Wheee!
DSCN6263

The people at Erldunda trying to be cute. Of course to a Norwegian, the Ø is an actual letter, pronounced kinda like the "o" in "going home" when Cartman says "Screw you guys, I'm going home". Yes, I'm a well of pop-cultural references.
DSCN6180

Barrow Creek, the most inbred place I ever hope to visit. A hole in the road on the way to Tennant Creek.
DSCN6267

One place we definitely didn't stop. I suspect they go through quite a lot of tin foil in a year.
DSCN6268

The roadsides and parking lots and even just the deserts are full of broken down cars. Some are burnt out, others look to be in mint condition.
DSCN6265

From the place I spent the night in Tennant Creek. I believe the frogs are complimentary if you're French.
DSCN6339

Why would an establishment 500 miles from the Queensland border have a warning sticker from Queensland authorities? These are the things that keep me awake at night.
DSCN6338

No comments: