Thursday, April 26, 2012

Queensland

Queensland has something of a reputation in Australia as a backwards and... well... redneck area. As Bill Bryson says in his book about Australia, "Down Under" ("In a sunburned country" for you yanks), most of the strange or crazy stories coming out of Oz originate in Queensland. Everything from jellyfish to croc attacks to plain weirdness. I can't personally attest to this yet, but I will say that the slogan the state has chosen - "The Smart State" - might possibly be something of a world record in irony.

These pics were all taken along the highway to Townsville.

War memorial in Julia Creek, where I spent the night. There's nothing to do in that town, but fortunately the place I stayed had huge steaks and the bartender was a very nice American, so at least I got me some good conversation.
DSCN6352

More like 5 years BACKWARD. Or even 50.
DSCN6347

The name of this geographical entity was Canal Creek, but some funny bastard had removed a couple of strategic letters. It's an alternative to sheep shagging, I guess.
DSCN6350

We had to pull over and wait for ten minutes on order of da 'polis, because of these two huge trucks.
DSCN6349

DSCN6348

No comments: