Thursday, April 26, 2012

Ayers Rock

Ayers Rock (aka Uluru in PC) is famous. Very famous. The reason why escapes me, as it's just a bloody big stone in the middle of nowhere. Admittedly it is an arresting sight, rising up out of the plains, but nothing worth traveling thousands of kilometers for (yes, I realize this makes ME a sucker).

It was raining when I got there, and it was raining when I left. For all I know it is still raining; it seems the Northern Territory and the western parts of Queensland were getting some much needed water, all at once. It had been raining in this supposedly "driest continent in the world" for over 72 hours straight when I finally started approaching the east coast. But that is for another post. The local aboriginees don't want people to climb on their holy mountain, so I would definitely have gone up if not for the weather (the walks were closed due to safety reasons).

I drove for 2.5 hours from Erldunda, made a drive around the big ole block, and then drove the 2.5 hours back. It was pissing down the whole time. It was that kind of day. All Ayers Rock pics here.

DSCN6119

DSCN6173

DSCN6165

DSCN6133

DSCN6148

DSCN6121

The sand along the road is bright red and the tarmac is pink in places. This really is "the red center", as the Aussies call it.
DSCN6114

No comments: