Saturday, April 28, 2012

Birdie birdie nam nam

Yesterday we (yes, the hitchhikers were still with me, I only lost them last night!) made a stop at a gas station somewhere between Townsville and Rockhampton. These colorful birds were eyeing me from the moment I sat down at a stone table to eat my sandwiches. They were hopping quite close, and one even perched himself on the fence, just 3-4 feet away, clearly eyeing my food.

Ever the sucker, I threw some scraps of bread, which it caught mid-air. Then more birds came and started a rather loudmouthed begging for food. They were temporarily interrupted by the arrival of two crows, one of which was the biggest, fattest bird I ever hope to see. He was wary of me, but not more so than that he quickly jumped up to the bread vacated by the smaller birds and stuffed his little beak on it.

Sadly, at this point I had no camera with me, so you'll have to settle for some pics I took afterwards, which shows one of the smaller birds proudly displaying the remains of my lunch; basically the scraps that the crows couldn't be bothered with. This is all beginning to follow a certain pattern...

"Mine, all mine!"
DSCN6356

DSCN6357

"Beautiful plumage, eh?"
DSCN6359

No comments: