Friday, July 3, 2015

Bandelier National Monument

Bandelier National Monument is located about an hour northwest of Santa Fe, in the Jemez Mountains. I trudged up and down the sights on the "main loop" today, the one most tourists take, so I figured I'd done a good day's work. I also took over 250 pictures, but have (blissfully) narrowed them down to the 37 in this folder.

I think I'm definitely on to something here.
SANY0014

The mountainside mainly consists of tuff, a soft rock that is the result of volcanic eruptions. So ancient injuns cut out caves, or simply improved upon already existing holes.
DSC_0006

There were plenty of natural and unnatural holes.
DSC_0033

This picture was taken out of the opening of a tiny room which I climbed a ladder to reach. I am becoming a real outdoorsman. Ok, you can stop laughing now.
DSC_0130

This was the inside of the cave.
SANY0006

I didn't go inside this one.
DSC_0201

A flash photo of the inside of a cave.
SANY0009

A long gallery of windows.
DSC_0250

No comments: