Thursday, July 2, 2015

Return to Santa Fe

I couldn't stomach navigating the streets of Albuquerque to find their local museum today, so instead I drove off early to Santa Fe. I am happy to report that almost four years after my last visit, it is still one of the coziest, prettiest towns in America, and the experience was made even better when I found a parking space right next door to the Palace of Governors on my first drive-by. I spent a happy hour walking around in the sunshine, taking pictures, window shopping and eating a burrito. I even bought another t-shirt. If you didn't already know it, an hour in downtown Santa Fe is a tonic for the soul.

People were sitting around the Plaza eating, talking or just chillaxing.
DSC_0015

The shops around the square are among the nicest (but also the priciest) in all of America.
DSC_0022

There were a couple of food stalls and the smell from them was delicious.
DSC_0024

The Santa Fe skyline is all adobe.
DSC_0056

These three were playing in one area of the square, but had to share auditory space with another kid who was seemingly banging away at some drums without any purpose, and an old guy playing the accordion. I gave the young 'uns five bucks and told them there would be five more if they could shut up the kid on the drums, but no luck.
DSC_0040

This memorial commemorates, among other things, the fallen Federal troops who fought the rebels in the American Civil War. A far cry from the South and its "just cause" rubbish. Also, note the purdy flowers; there's tons of them around the plaza.
DSC_0051

Some more history; this time from the Santa Fe Trail.
DSC_0017

No comments: