Monday, July 6, 2015

Bighorn in Zion

Sunday evening I drove through Zion National Park in Utah, one of my favorite sites in one of my favorite states. And Zion, beautiful, lovely, breathtaking Zion did not disappoint. Less than five minutes in I spotted traffic along the way (which almost always means animals) and when I slowed down I was rewarded by the sight of a good dozen Bighorn Sheep going about their business and giving not a flying fuck about the people standing right above them, clicking away with their cameras. I turned around and pulled over (because I'm a careful veteran of National Parks driving), got my camera out and thus began the great photo feast of 2015. I took almost 350 pics of that little herd alone, but since there is a strict limit to how many sheep, even big horned ones, one can look at before going a bit funny in the head, I trimmed the number down for y'all.

About half a dozen split off to the left to go do their own thing. Which, judging by the males sniffing the females, included some horniness (horniness, cuz they're Big Horns, got it, got it?)
DSC_0183

The rest were standing around with nothing to do at first.
DSC_0196

The males, whose horns curve much more than the ewe's, were playfighting, as teenagers are wont to do.
DSC_0242

These tree stumps were infinitely interesting to some of the sheep. They would lick the stumps.
DSC_0300

Then head butt them.
DSC_0356

Then head butt each other for good measure.
DSC_0324

"Now that you mention it, we do look kinda stupid. Sorry."
DSC_0382

Peacefully nibbling on the grass not ten yards away from people.
DSC_0483

No comments: