Sunday, October 9, 2011

Falmouth

Falmouth is a small city in south Cornwall. It is known for a very deep harbor and the local university has a good reputation. Quite a few students around town on a Friday night.

I'm afraid I've gone into old ruin overload mode, and the last few days have been exceedingly lazy. I never went to Pendennis Castle and I never went to see the Royal Cornwall Museum in Truro. Got in a few pics of the harbour, and of the oddly named Norway Inn, which lies along the main road between Falmouth and Truro. Its name is recorded as far back in history as around 1820, and it was supposedly named for all the Norwegian ships that used to come up the coast to unload timber. They have a laminated info thingy behind the bar if you're more interested. I highly recommend you stop by, take a few pics and maybe have lunch or dinner there.

Pics here.

The more bourgeois neighboorhoods of Falmouth, where I staid. *sniff*
SANY0007

Sailboats on the water. Nice to look at when you've got solid ground under your feet and you know the nearest pub is 2 mins away in a car. Can't for the life of me see the attraction of actually being out there.
SANY0006

The Norway Inn. Good food and nice people.
SANY0008

Hmmmmm. Does the Norwegian Foreign Ministry know that there's an inn in Cornwall with an official vice consular plate on the wall?
SANY0010

The Chicken Tikka was ok, but that tiny little bowl of locally made chutney was to die for. (Also, the first time I typed chutney just now, it came out as cuntey. Which SHOULD be a word. Just sayin'.)
SANY0011

No comments: