Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lizard Point

Today I've done what I was supposed to do according to my schedule... and more! Seems like old ruins overload is gone for now and I'm back on track. First I went down to the southermost point of the British "mainland", a tiny village called Lizard, with a promontory a half mile or so further south called Lizard Point. There's a lighthouse just east of the point and some caves in the rock facing the ocean.

As with every other place I've been to in Cornwall, it is first and foremost windswept. I really had to grab my camera firmly to stop it from getting blown out of my hands, and if my jacket had been a little firmer and wider I might have flown home to Norway of my own accord. I did get in some very nice pics, though. The place has lots of walks, and the sky was much like what I photographed in Termini in December last year. Not so many colors, because the clouds were thicker, but wild and beautiful all the same. I'll put up a separate post with sky pics... all pics from Lizard Point here.

The lighthouse. In addition to the lights, they had a siren that sounded every so often.
SANY0001

A coin-operated looking glass. That's 20 pence I'll never see again.
SANY0015

Cuteness incarnated. As I've mentioned before the British loooove their dogs. I see them everywhere I go - on beaches, in parks, on lawns, in parking lots.
SANY0003

This was a poster I blithely photographed instead of buying. It shows known shipwrecks around Cornwall.
SANY0022

You can walk down a path just to the west of Lizard point, but I was just too windswept to do it.
SANY0012

The coastline just below the lighthouse.
SANY0014

I experimented with black and white photos out there. The landscape is so bleak it often takes a few seconds to figure out which are color pics and which aren't.
SANY0030

No comments: