Monday, October 10, 2011

Land's End

Today I've been a good boy and done all 3 things on my itinerary. And a fat lot of good it did me, all 3 were huge disappointments. The first one was Land's End, the "mythical" western point of the British "mainland". It was a touristy looking wasteland of crap, with hugely overpriced parking. Several of the "attractions" weren't even open.

I've now been to 3 of 4 possible geographical extremities - Dunnet's Point up north, Lizard point to the south and Land's End to the west. Land's End is by far the most boring, and can be compared to John O'Groats, which is usually thought to be the most northerly point, but which isn't. Anyway, they're both touristy crap sites.

All Land's End pics here.

The entrance. Land's End is from what I understand privately owned, and in the hands of barbarians. I've seen lots of commercially operated places do this much more classy. On the other hand, appealing to the lowest common denominator seldom loses you money in this day and age.
SANY0018

Land of Greed, more likely.
SANY0019

"The first and last house in England". No, I couldn't be bothered to walk down there.
SANY0004

Rocks.
SANY0012

More rocks.
SANY0015

So fuckin' phoney.
SANY0008

Right. Been there, done that.
SANY0009

No comments: