Thursday, November 3, 2011

Mount Whitney

Just a couple of hours from Death Valley lies Mount Whitney, the highest mountain in the lower 48 states. It is part of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and one can drive quite a long way up to the top and then climb the whole thing. Needless to say, I settled for the driving part. I got in some great shots of the mountains - from a distance, from close up, in sunlight, at sunset, in color and in black & white. Mighty purdy! All pics here.

From far off.
SANY0151

From up close.
SANY0174

I got a shot of a jetplane flying to the north of the mountain. One might almost envision a comet. Yes, on second thought I do believe it is a comet.
SANY0202

This stream ran beside the camping place where I had to turn around on account of there being no more road to drive on. Or you know I would have gone all the way. I lubs driving.
SANY0167

Sun going down behind one of the mountains immediately to the south of Mt Whitney.
SANY0191

Sundown on Mt Whitney. The perspective lies, it's the one in the middle.
SANY0221

The moon.
SANY0178

The light was incredible, no pic can do it justice.
SANY0217

Sigh.
SANY0212

The view across the Owens Valley from a viewpoint halfway up the road. You can see the shadow of the mountain creeping across the plains towards the little town of Lone Pine, behind the hills. On my way down I felt like I was in a vampire movie, chasing the sunset.
SANY0183

No comments: