Thursday, December 1, 2011

Beale Street in Memphis

Beale Street is a famous street in Memphis, Tennessee,with lots of blues clubs and eating places. We stuffed face in a cafe there tonight (food pics in a separate post) and I thought the purdy lights and the general decor of the cafe was worth a post.

A word to the wise: After dark, the area is teeming with beggars. They'll come up to you with a big grin and a friendly demeanor and they'll try and shake your hand to initate trust. They may give you some tips about where to go and what to see, but they'll soon enough come round to ask for money. Four guys tried this on me within the span of less than five minutes, but only the first one was lucky enough to get 50 cents (I figured his brief tourist advice was worth as much!)

All pics here.

SANY0024

SANY0027

Beale Street in daylight.
SANY0035

We ate at the lovely Blues City Cafe, on the corner of Beale and Second Street. Huge portions, friendly service and great food!
SANY0023

The roof is corrugated tin.
SANY0020

Eh, eh, eh.
SANY0002

Make up your own dirty jokes.
SANY0018

I have no idea what this means, but I think it's supposed to be a good thing.
SANY0017

"When is this idiot going to stop taking pictures of me while I eat?"
SANY0011

No comments: