Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sunrise on Hilton Head

I gotta hand it to the rich & famous, they sure know how to pick nice spots. Thursday morning I got up bright and early and was at the Coligny Beach on Hilton Head Island around 6:20AM, camera in hand to get shots of the sunrise. It was very dark when I got there, just a tiny hint of red on the horizon, and I had the beach all to my sweet, sweet self for nearly 30 mins. With the moon high and bright and the light of ships out on the sea and the sound of the waves breaking... ah, it was bliss.

As the red stripe got clearer, a few early risers showed up, but we had a whole beach to share, so no one got in each other's hair. Later, when the sun was almost up, the asshole joggers came out from whichever stone they'd been hiding under and insisted on pounding the sand and breathing heavy and generally making a show of how fuckin' fit they were. But by then I'd gotten my pictures and memories and could bid a fond farewell to the beach.

All pics here.

This was the first pic I took. The beach was so dark I had to tread carefully.
DSCN3096

Getting lighter.
DSCN3108

You can see the rays beaming out from the still hidden sun.
DSCN3136

The beach.
DSCN3138

First glimpse of sun.
DSCN3154

DSCN3155

Almost above the clouds now.
DSCN3213

Aaaaaaand there you are...
DSCN3222

DSCN3223

DSCN3224

They say you shouldn't stare into the sun, but I ain't heard nuffin' 'bout takin' pics.
DSCN3228

The walkway between the beach and the parking lot. Quite a nice area.
DSCN3239

No comments: