Friday, December 9, 2011

Where to next?

Friday is my 45th day out of the 89 that I'm spending in the US (I land in Norway on the 90th day, January 23rd). The big question now is: Where to next? I have some thoughts - chiefly Australia/New Zealand and/or South Africa (to see animals and go on safari). These countries would, in addition to being places I sincerely want to see, have the added benefit of being completely free of snow at this time of year.

On the other hand, both are quite some distance from Norway and may also be too hot right now, so maybe I should wait till March... decisions, decisions. Anyway, here are some options for the period of late January-late March, with positive/negative considerations for all countries. Feel free to add comments, suggestions and (a rarity on this blog) facts in the comments section:


Australia (including New Zealand, because I know they hate to hear it):
+ English speaking country (after a fashion). Civilized (after a fashion). Summer. Lots of sights and wide open spaces to travel. Friendly locals.
- Expensive to get there. Not sure about costs of car rental and the price and quality of Aussie motels. May need travel companions to help reduce costs (hint, hint). Could get very, very hot. Lots of things that want me dead (spiders, snakes, jellyfish, sharks, left hand drivers).

Canada:
+ US light (because I know they hate to hear it), mostly English speaking. Not that much more expensive than the US. Might reasonably stay cheap in a major city there for up to 3 months until I can enter the US again legally.
- Cold as fuck in January & February and March. Snow. The French.

Czech Republic:
+ Cheap to get there, probably reasonable to stay. Lots of places to visit by train or other public transportation. Prague stunning city, used to have friends there. Most people in Prague speak some English.
- Hotel/bar where I used to stay pretty much all changed, old friends scattered. Cold as fuck in January & February. Snow. People outside Prague speak little English. Country swarming with Krauts.

Israel:
+ Most people speak English. Cheap to get there. Temperatures generally bearable in January-March. Lots of history and culture. One of the few places in the world where I can be as pro-Israel as I wish...
- Expensive to stay there from what I understand. Local language incomprehensible, might stifle travel. Iran might decide to rain missiles down on them while I'm there. Some of the people clinically insane.

Italy
+ Reasonably cheap to get there and to stay (depending somewhat on where I go). Lots of historical places and sights to see. Locals friendly, good food, cheap trains.
- Locals insane; I know I'll start to tire of them within the first week. Could be cold as fuck and snowy, depending on where I go (and chance). Few people speak decent English, outside of Rome. Car rentals relatively expensive.

South Africa:
+ Summer there. Sweet, sweet summer. Reasonably cheap to stay there, I think, but possibly somewhat more expensive now because of the season? I dunno. Would really like to see local animals.
- Expensive to get there. Could be hot as hell. Not sure about costs of car rental and the price and quality of South African motels. High crime rates in some areas. Might get mugged in Cape Town or eaten by a lion in Krueger. Driving on the left.

Thailand:
+ Very cheap once you get there, good food. Tolerable climate Jan-March. Friendly locals.
- Somewhat expensive, but not prohibitively so to get there. Know and care fuck all about the whole continent. Local culture insane. Speak bloken English, if at all. Drive on the left, or all over the place. Fear I might go mad with boredom during the first week.

The UK:
+ English speaking (after a fashion). Absolutely tons of sights to see, some friends. Cheap to get there, reasonably cheap to stay, since I'm a member of both Historic Scotland/English Heritage and the National Trusts. Love the locals.
- Most hotels have low standards. Food generally bleh. Could be cold and snowy, you never know. Driving on the left.

One general consideration regarding western Europe, in addition to the chance of snow & cold weather is the status of the Euro. It might be stupid to book a rental now and then have the Euro crack up, only to be replaced by local currencies - or it might be genius, you never know. Le sigh.

Probably, it will be cheaper to rent in the local currencies since the respective governments will inflate their way out of the crisis and people will be more desperate to make money (I have no moral problem living like a fat cat off the desperation of the natives). So maybe I should wait and see what happens to Italy (and Greece and maybe Spain). Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

Albertine Feurer-Young said...

I hate you

Jan said...

If I were you, I would immediately rule out Czech Republic, Italy and the UK where you have been millions of times before. Since you like the US, you would surely like Australia as well since they have a lot in common. The price level is roughly the same as in the US. I've never been to New Zealand, but price level should be about the same as Australia.

However, I think South Africa would be a much more interesting choice. It has some amazing scenery which I am pretty sure you will appreciate. It is cheaper to get there and the country is very affordable, much cheaper than Australia. The standard of accommodation is generally high. Much of the country is at a relatively high altitude where the summer heat will not be a problem, although the Kruger Park will be very hot (but usually not humid). Crime should not be a problem unless you act stupidly (say, walk around in Central Johannesburg after dark). Crime rate is high but tourists are usually not targeted.

Israel is perhaps even more interesting, being a very special country. Although very small, there are an enormous amount of sights in particular related to
religious history (which I didn't think you were too interested in, though). Price level is comparable to Western Europe (i.e. cheaper than Norway, but much more expensive than, say, South Africa).
You could also easily cross over to Jordan which has even more interesting archeological sights than Israel.

If "you know and care fuck all about the whole continent" (Asia), it would be silly to travel there. (Although I find it incomprehensible that somebody with such a deep interest in US and European history could have no interest whatsoever in what is happening in Asia, but that's just me.)

Thailand is a perfect tourist destination if you are into beaches, jungle, mountain trekking, buddhist culture or sex, none of which (I think) are your main interests. There are a few sights from WW2: Bridge on the River Kwai, Kanchanaburi War Cemetery etc, but not enough to justify a whole trip to Thailand. Perhaps you would be more interested in Malaysia and Singapore, where people speak English and the colonial heritage is still quite visible.

Finally, many (including me) would argue that the most interesting country in Asia is China, but I have a feeling it might not be what you are looking for (and English is practically non-existent).

Best of luck whatever you decide! Looking forward to reading about it.