Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tupelo

We also spent some time in Tupelo proper. It's a small city that yet manages to have a highly confusing network of roads and highways. I swear, I had more control of where I was going in Memphis than there. Sigh.

We took some pics of the historic downtown, chiefly the hardware store on Main Street, which is where Elvis bought his first guitar at 13. Apparently, his mother's intention was to get a bicycle, but Elvis (ever the wise one) wanted a gun. The compromise was a guitar, and the rest is legend.

All pics here.

The hardware store where Elvis got his guitar. Tupelo is making the very, very utmost of its connections to Elvis.
DSCN2520

Astrid is a huge fan of the King.
DSCN2523

Some other buildings on Main.
DSCN2515

The huge lunch I had at Romie's BBQ on Thursday. I believe it's on Troy Street and I highly recommend it if you're ever in Tupelo.
SANY0001

Crye-Leike is a highly confusing name to a Norwegian. The meaning of "crye" goes without saying, and in Norwegian "Leike" means "to play". I believe the word has the same meaning in some Scottish and Northern English dialects too.
SANY0001 (2)

No comments: