Friday, December 9, 2011

Old Salem

I've been to Winston Salem in North Carolina a couple of times before; everything from staying a few days to just passing through for lunch. I have two of my oldest friends living in the area; Bev and Amber. We started chatting back in '97 or '98, and we're still on speaking terms so I guess they must be as crazy as I am...

W-S is a very nice town, with lots of food, glorious food and some nice sights too. The Reynolda (where I'm going tomorrow) is a world famous mansion with lots of arts, and there's Old Salem with buildings from the 1800s and history going back to the 1750s. There are lots of other things to see and do too; it has colleges and research institutions and whatnot, and it's fairly close to the other big cities in North Carolina. It's one of the places in the US where I feel I could live.

All Old Salem pics here.

Bev & Amber at the restaurant where Bev was nice enough to buy me lunch today. Wheeee!
DSCN2785

Tuesday: The differences between British and American informal English, course 101. (See meaning #2 here)
DSCN2784

Bev & Amber again, in Old Salem. Being around these guys you find you laugh a lot. My cheeks were actually hurting when I got back to my hotel.
DSCN2811

DSCN2824

George Washington hisself spent two days here and today it's a tavern, open for lunch and dinner.
DSCN2816

Old cemeteries are fun. These guys were Scandinavian, so I took pics of their tombstones. The early settlers in Salem were all Moravians, a sect that combines religion with communism; two of my favorite ideologies, mmmmm.
DSCN2786

DSCN2787

Dude, your name wuz BONER. Dat's funny. (Yes, this is what it's come to - I'm making jokes about dead people now).
DSCN2789

Boner had a whole house to himself, tee hee.
DSCN2815

Fake oven at the Winkler Bakery.
DSCN2801

Not likely, dude.
DSCN2825

Some random houses in Old Salem. It really is a pretty neighborhood. Again, I wish I had a few million dollars lying around.
DSCN2791

DSCN2793

DSCN2808

DSCN2795

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Moravians, world's oldest Protestant group, were German by way of Czechoslovakia (google John Hus). They were joined by Scandinavians, Brits, etc.

But what makes you think the Winkler Bakery's oven was fake? Several of the buildings have been restored, but one of Salem's claims to fame is that so much of it (including the bake oven) is original.

Proud Salem Resident

Ghost of Goldwater said...

The reason why I so rashly described the oven as fake was the artificial light placed near the wood. I suppose I should have been more precise and left open the possibility that the oven was real, though probably bricked up.